Dental Crowns in Fort Worth, TX
Damaged teeth can affect your self-confidence and pose serious risks to your oral health. Fortunately, achieving a radiant and healthy smile has never been more accessible thanks to porcelain dental crowns.
What are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are tailor-made caps placed over damaged teeth, restoring their original shape, size, strength, and appearance. Crafted from durable porcelain materials, these crowns are designed to blend seamlessly with your natural teeth. As a leading Fort Worth dentist, Dr. Lala and her team ensure that every restoration is customized to meet the individual needs of each patient, creating results that look and feel natural.
Benefits of Crowns
Beyond the fundamental advantages, dental crowns offer an array of benefits:
- Enhanced Appearance: Dental crowns are meticulously crafted to match your natural teeth’ shape, size, and color. This attention to detail ensures that they not only restore health but also significantly enhance the appearance of one’s smile.
- Chewing and Bite Improvement: By restoring a damaged tooth to its original size and shape, crowns help evenly distribute bite pressure, which in turn aids in improved chewing.
- Speech Improvement: Damaged or missing teeth can hinder speech. A crown can rectify this by aligning the dental structure, thereby improving pronunciation and speech clarity.
- Protection from Temperature Sensitivity: Crowns act as a barrier for damaged teeth, protecting them from hot and cold sensitivities.
- Support for Adjacent Teeth: By holding the dental structure together, crowns prevent adjacent teeth from shifting out of position.
- Low Maintenance: Unlike some dental restorations, crowns are easy to care for. Regular brushing, flossing, and dental check-ups are typically all that’s required.
How Crowns Can Help You
If you’re considering getting dental crowns in Fort Worth, TX, you may be wondering what they can do for you. They are versatile restorations that can rectify a wide range of dental concerns:
- Worn Down Teeth: Teeth grinding or an acidic diet can cause teeth to wear down over time. Crowns provide a new surface, restoring the teeth’s original size and function.
- Weak Teeth: Teeth that are weak due to decay or large fillings can be fortified and protected with a crown, preventing them from breaking.
- Teeth with Inadequate Structure: When there’s not enough tooth left to hold a filling, a crown becomes essential to provide structure and support.
- Anchoring Dental Bridges: Dental crowns are often used as anchors on either side of a dental bridge, holding the bridge in place.
- Covering Dental Implants: Once a dental implant has been placed in the jaw, a crown is often positioned on top to function as the visible part of the tooth.
- Cosmetic Enhancement: Apart from rectifying structural issues, crowns can be used purely for aesthetic reasons — to cover misshapen, severely discolored, or unsightly teeth.
What to Expect During the Crown Placement Procedure
Choosing to get a dental crown is a significant decision, and understanding the procedure can alleviate any anxiety. Here’s a comprehensive breakdown of what you can expect during the crown placement process at Centreport Smiles:
Dr. Lala, your trusted Fort Worth dentist, will thoroughly examine your oral health using X-rays to get a detailed view of the tooth in question and the surrounding bone. She will discuss your specific needs, the types of crowns available, and recommend the best option for you. This is also the ideal time to ask questions or voice any concerns.
Before starting, a local anesthetic will be administered to numb the tooth and the surrounding gum tissue to ensure a pain-free experience. The tooth receiving the crown will be reshaped along the chewing surface and sides to make space for the crown. After reshaping, an impression of the tooth is taken using a digital scanner. This impression ensures the crown fits seamlessly with your bite and adjacent teeth.
Temporary Crown Placement:
A temporary crown is placed to protect the prepared tooth while the permanent crown is being fabricated. This interim solution helps prevent sensitivity and maintains tooth function.
Fitting the Permanent Crown:
Once the lab has crafted your crown, you’ll return to Centreport Smiles for the final placement. Dr. Lala will remove the temporary crown, clean the tooth, and then place the new crown, checking its fit and bite alignment. Minor adjustments might be made to ensure a perfect fit and comfortable bite. Once everything looks and feels right, the crown is permanently cemented into place.
Post-Procedure Care Guidance:
It’s not uncommon to experience some sensitivity to temperature after the procedure. Dr. Lala might recommend a sensitive-formula toothpaste or other measures to address this. Regular brushing and flossing are vital. While the crown protects the tooth, the edge where the crown meets the gum is susceptible to decay if not kept clean. A follow-up visit might be scheduled to ensure it is fitting well and you’re not experiencing any issues.
At every step of the way, Centreport Smiles ensures you’re informed, comfortable, and confident in the care you’re receiving. This commitment to patient well-being and satisfaction underscores why so many choose Dr. Lala as their preferred dentist in Fort Worth.
FAQs About Porcelain Dental Crowns in Fort Worth, TX
How long do dental crowns last?
Dental crowns generally last between 5 to 15 years, depending on their material and how well they’re taken care of. Factors like oral hygiene practices, eating habits, and even dental habits (like grinding or clenching) can influence a crown’s lifespan. Regular check-ups with your Fort Worth dentist, Dr. Lala, can help monitor the condition of your crown.
Do crowns feel different from natural teeth?
Initially, you might notice a slight difference, especially if you’re touching it with your tongue or if it’s replacing a gap. However, they are designed to fit, feel, and function just like your natural teeth. After a brief adjustment period, it should feel entirely normal.
Can a crowned tooth decay?
While the crown itself cannot decay, the edge where the crown meets the gum line can be vulnerable to bacterial invasion and potential decay. Maintaining diligent oral hygiene, including regular brushing, flossing, and professional cleanings, can prevent this.
4. How should I care for my porcelain crown?
Treat your crown just as you would your natural teeth. This means brushing twice a day, flossing daily, and attending regular dental check-ups. While crowns are sturdy, avoid chewing hard foods, ice, or other objects that could damage the crown.
Are there any materials to choose from for dental crowns?
Yes, crowns can be made from a variety of materials, including porcelain, porcelain fused to metal, resin, and metal. Dr. Lala has opted for porcelain crowns due to their durability and natural look and feel.
Will the crown look natural next to my other teeth?
Absolutely. The goal at Centreport Smiles is to ensure that any dental restoration, including crowns, matches the color, shape, and size of your natural teeth. Dr. Lala takes great care in matching or choosing the right shade for your crown.
Is the crown placement procedure painful?
The procedure itself should not be painful since a local anesthetic is used to numb the area. You may, however, experience some sensitivity or mild discomfort after the anesthesia wears off. Over-the-counter pain relievers, as recommended by Dr. Lala, can help alleviate this.
How soon can I eat after getting a dental crown?
If you’ve received a temporary crown, it’s best to wait until the anesthesia wears off before eating, so you don’t risk biting your cheek or tongue. For permanent crowns, once the anesthesia wears off, you can eat, but it’s wise to start with softer foods and avoid anything too sticky or hard initially.
Ready to Transform Your Smile?
Don’t let damaged teeth diminish your confidence or compromise your oral health. Choose Centreport Smiles for top-notch dental crowns in Fort Worth, TX. Schedule your consultation with Dr. Lala today and embark on your journey to a healthier, brighter smile. Your radiant future awaits!
We are proud to serve Euless, Fort Worth, Arlington, Irving, Bedford, and surrounding communities.